EECS 382 Final Project (50% of grade)
The purpose of this project is to develop software/hardware in the
context of a project development cycle. The idea is to pick a company within
the wireless technology markets that you would like to work for and
as a team project what product to develop for that company. In class,
you must find another group that is to compete against you so that
in the oral discussion they can be analyzed for differences.
Throughout the weeks, various guest speakers will come and
attendance is mandatory. They will help you better articulate your
final write up. Also, additional course lectures will be continued
with class discussions related to the projects.
Week by Week tasks (11.02):
Your group has to
accomplish the following goals, although some are overlapping.
- Week 1: Hand-in a statement-of-work (SOW) of the project application
and a PERT/GANTT/MicrosoftProject like graph which lists tasks to be done by rows,
and weeks by columns. For each task bar within the graph list
who does what (including software testing phase).
Project software application development is concurrent
with market analysis.
- Week 2: 10 minute oral speech and brief draft write up
of the product market and how it compares
to Nokia. That would include stock price comparison over last 3 years, revenues
of the company compared to Nokia,
define the market you are targeting, market capitalization,
list major players in the market, background of CEO,
what does the annual report say their market growth is
and what news groups say: money.cnn.com, bloomberg.com,
- Week 3: Project status review write up
- Week 4: Project status review write up
Project final deliverables (12.02):
- A software standalone application (i.e. .jar and .jad)
using J2EE standard project layout
including docs (javadoc & --help page, disclosures) and builds (ANT).
- Invention Disclosure
with 2 page Product description.
- Product description contains the following sub-sections:
- Product Application
- Product Market (also, Licensing opportunities)
- Product Description (high level description)
- Legal Liability: Patent or Licensing infringements,
and Product Liability
- Technical Description: Prior Art, theory, how it works.
- Sealed envelope: Each group member evaluates the others on contribution to the project.
Topics can range from software to hardware based:
- Software topics: midlets (advanced web browser), 2d or 3d animation graphics,
or other applications in the "J2ME in a Nutshell book".
- Modify and extend demo applications in the Wireless toolkit (i.e. /usr/WTK2.1/apps):
FPDemo, NetworkDemo, UIDemo, JSR172Demo, SMSDemo, audiodemo, games, mmademo, photoalbum, etc.
- Hardware topics: wireless microprocessor architecture comparison, analysis and design.
Software deliverable a subset of the JVM interpreter.
Suggested wireless technology companies:
- Which either make cell phones or develop products for cell phones.
- Use Micro Java News
or Google to find them.
- Strictly Java hardware based:
Java processor article,
ARM microprocessors (Jazelle Extension),
Aurora VLSI (Espresso java CPU),
Digital Communication Technologies (Lightfoot Java CPU),
Nazomi Communications (JStar java CPU), etc.
- Software Java based: SymbianOS,
Sun Microsystems, IBM JAVA, etc.
- Or the big players:
Motorola microprocessors and phones,
Texas Instruments microprocessors & DSPs,
Infineon unified MCU-DSP architecture,
Synopsys microprocessor IP,